Monday, January 12, 2009

Trusting In The Lord



There are times when I feel that I know all the things I should do to fully put my trust in God and do His will for my life, but the way seems to become difficult to follow.

I would like to share some of the things that help me at times when I have had occasion to think I can do everything on my own without considering what God thought. I was a much younger Christian then but much wiser now.

Perhaps how I have handled it in the past and continue to do so, might be of some help or just a reminder to you of something you already know. I hesitate because you may be more knowledgeable of God and His word, but I feel the Lord is leading me to share this. And all the praise be to Him if it helps someone.

Trusting In God is one of the biggest things we must do in our Christian walk and one of the most loving ways in which we can please God. He is happy when we do this, and will reward us exceedingly well with special blessings we will not know any other way.

As I have traveled thru life, there have been many times I have had to do this completely and at this stage of my life now it has become something that I don't have to remind myself about constantly because it has become life itself.

There is always something required of us when we walk with the Lord daily. Here is a sort of pattern, I use to keep myself in the place where, I feel He desires me to be.

1. I confess my weaknesses (especially those I'm not aware of, asking for enlightenment on them). By doing this I trust in His promises for cleansing. I seek His face for approval with a cleansed heart, else how can I comprehend what He has in store for me or how to trust Him.

2. I come before Him seeking what He desires from me or for me through this experience. In times past I have sometimes asked "Why?" as a child would, but having become more mature now I say "Well, Lord I see I am learning again and if possible make the lesson short!" (Patience, I know, is considered a virtue.) It seems as if I am frequently in the process of learning.

3. Next I search the Scriptures praying for Him to show me something I need for this, or for assurance along the way that I am in His will for my life. I read Psalms about His Majesty & Goodness. This will always push any self-pride I may have aside, causing me to see that I'm just a sinner saved thru His MERCY and GRACE.

4. Having done this I claim a verse that has grown so dear to me over the years I claim it for my very own (knowing full well others probably have done the same).

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10 (NIV) This doesn't mean that I sit back in a corner and do nothing. But it does mean that in my meditation upon Him, I will be patient for Him to work on my behalf to accomplish what He has in His will for me at his time. How else can I know that He is God with only His best for me? It causes me to cease from running to and fro about nothing, and let Him do His work with, to and thru me. This also brings a Special Peace that only He can give.

Philippians 4:4-7 (KJV) One of my most favorite passages.
"Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Even before His will and way has been accomplished, I find myself praising Him for another time His hand has been upon my life molding me into His likeness.

Here are some verses that have become a part of my continued lifestyle to be like Him. I share them with the prayer that you may find one or some to draw you closer to Him as they have done drawn me.

When troubles hit your life:
II Cor.1:3 & 4 (KJV)
"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort where with we ourselves are comforted of God."

Isaiah 43:2 (KJV)
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee: and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee."

Romans 8:28 (KJV)
"And we know that all things work together for good to them who are the called according to His purpose."

I Peter 5:7 (KJV)
"Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you."

Psalm 94:19 (KJV) One of my favorites-which helps me alot.
"In the multitude of my thoughts within me, thy comforts delight my soul!"

Psalm 37 (KJV) - the whole Psalm speaks of trusting in the Lord
These points are notable:
v.1 Fret not thyself
v.3 Trust in the Lord
v.4 Delight thyself also in the Lord
v.5 Commit thy way unto the Lord
v.7 Rest in the Lord
v.8 Cease from anger
v.27 Depart from evil
v.34 Wait upon the Lord

Of course you probably know these too! They seem to belong together.

Psalm 56:11 (KJV)
"In God have I put my trust; I will not be afraid what man can do unto me."

Hebrews 13:6 (KJV)
"So that we may boldly say, the Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what
man shall do unto me."

Rom.8:31 (KJV)
"If God be for us, who can be against us?"

These are just a few of the many Scriptures that can be found. I trust one might help and encourage you knowing that we are not alone in this process of becoming like the Master. I know this looks like a lot to read but take your time and may God richly bless and comfort you in the times of struggle to understand what God is doing in your life. May God richly bless you as you seek to be like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment